Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A place for sentiment

My friend Kait inspired me to start this blog. She has a brilliant blog (read it here). I thought her idea was so clever, I came up with my own rendition.

My sentimental side is not one that comes out much, but this blog may very well be full of it. My cynical, complaining, or sarcastic personality traits usually show up most often, but here in this blog I wanted to reserve a spot for the things of meaning in my life. I wanted a place for sentiment.

Sentiment: a refined feeling; a romantic or nostalgic feeling verging on sentimentality. Ah yes, make way for the sappiness!

A person is never simply who they appear to be. They are made up of the people around them, friends and family. They are not only the experiences they've had in life, but are also a product of the experiences of others. I find that the people around me have contributed different pieces to my life as a whole-- often it's from close family and friends, but sometimes it's from someone I have nothing in common with, sometimes it's remembered from a past friendship that's faded, sometimes it's from a casual acquaintance-- but all of it makes me who I am.

I promise not to be too sentimental, I've never been good at sharing things that are truly important to me. I had a difficult time coming up with a mini-biography of myself to include in this inaugural post. But luckily for me, that's the point. I am more than who I tell you I am. I can be found in the things I share here.

But here's some things you should know about me:

I was raised in Gaithersburg, MD and love the east coast! My family moved to Arizona when I was 12 and the dry, brown desert has grown on me to the point where I now find myself home-sick for the wide-open blue skies, the beautiful red rocks, and the cactus-strewn landscapes of Arizona. I'm currently living in Utah, which despite it's picturesque landscapes, is not my favorite place to live--I'm here while getting a masters degree.

I love hockey! If I had stronger words for that I would use them. Hockey makes me happy, ridiculously happy. I'm a devoted fan. Some day I'll explain how that happened, but for now know that I root for my Phoenix Coyotes and detest the Redwings (don't take it personally if you happen to be a fan, we can still be friends, just maybe not during playoffs).

I love music and movies. I like to read, although not at my reading level--I adore fairy tales and children's stories.

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (that's right, I said I'm a Mormon), and it has made all the difference in my life. My faith in Jesus Christ gives me purpose, direction, and strength.

I served a mission for my church in Rostov, Russia. Not a day goes by that I don't think about Russia. I left my heart there. I love the people, the culture, and the food (that's right, the food! Don't let anyone tell you Russian food is gross! I'll share some recipes on this blog when I get a chance).

If you want to know more, you'll have to piece it together from what I share here!

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I can't wait to read more. This is going to be great. I love how much you love Russia. I can just tell... that place became a part of you. I think it's wonderful the way you talk about things becoming a part of you. This is so true, isn't it? We're the sum total of our experiences, people, and loves. Also: I can't wait for the Russian recipes. Have these happened at a dinner group I didn't come to?

    ReplyDelete